Monday, May 12, 2014

The One Eyed Cat

The One Eyed Cat 

My daughter has been an animal activist since she could talk. It was very common for us to drive by telephone posts when she was a child with pictures of lost dogs where she would BEG me, “please stop the car”. She would cry until I would so she could get the information necessary to start her search for the lost animal.

For 5 years now she has been feeding a stray calico cat in her father’s neighborhood,  The only reason she hasn’t officially adopted it is because there are a few dogs in the house and the cat is too afraid to stay indoors.

The other day she called me begging please you have to help the calico something has attacked it and taken out its eye.  I shivered at the thought, the vet bills I knew were beyond me, but she would not let it go.

I also had to admit that the small little voice inside me was there to remind me that I had mentioned only a few weeks ago that I might want to get a cat.

She was right the cat’s eye was missing. Within a few short hours we were getting vet care, one of my dear cat lover and cat rescuer yoga students whom I’ve known for years came to mind as an ally. She actually offered to pay for vet services, (not my intention of calling her) 

With full surgery, repair fractures and sever damage, the vet also had to patch up the hole where the eye was missing.  It was quite dramatic.  It wasn’t easy, and I absolutely couldn’t help but take the cat in.  Ok, I fell in love with it pretty quickly after I said Yes, and my heart opened in a way that I hadn’t expected.

No kidding, as all of this was going on I opened up a magazine at the Vet’s office. The page I opened to was an advertisement for a book that was written, Titled Cats and Daughters.  Signs, Signs, and more Signs, pointed to Yes, Yes and Yes.

This poor calico cat had been either beaten by someone or hit by a car, not attacked by another animal like my daughter assumed. The angelic offering of Lucy Taylor, my dear Yoga student made it possible for Calico the One Eyed Cat to become my new pet.

I’m living in Gratitude for so many things right now. The studio I am renting on this property that has the healing energy of Hawaii, the new kitty to hold and care for, and the way in which people show up and give what they can when they can.

It happens. It’s the reminder of Life Works, rather than the opposite.

Our egos are so strong, they are so conditioned, they look to slip into the nooks and crannies even on our best days to tell us otherwise.

The ego goes on and on and on and on and wants us to strive for something other than what is now, for more, for struggle in any way shape or form, and the truth is it’s just not necessary.


I’m happy to be back here on the Central Coast. I’m grateful for anyone who took time to read this today! I’m excited to share the gifts the of Yoga & Mindfulness Practice

I'd love to hear from you!
Namaste
Prema
premayoga108@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment